- By riding shoulder in to the left and to the right, the horse is asked to step with the inside hind leg under the point of weight.
- By riding hindquarter-in and renvers to the left and right, the horse is asked to step under with the outside hind leg.
That means that the horse actually has four functions in his hind legs that are trained by these exercises:
- Left hind leg as inside hind leg
- Right hind leg as outside hind leg
- Left hind leg as outside hind leg
- Right hind leg as inside hind leg